Overall, when using the 12.04 in a canned version, things are pretty good. So I upgraded my workstation laptop, which is running a more customized install - fluxbox as a window manager, with a minimalist window theme. "fixed" is not necessarily a bugfix, but a fix from the functionality point of view, sometimes with slight tweaking that I deemed acceptable, so technically it is a union of "fixed" and "worked around".
A list of various "interesting" things I have encountered.
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1004392 and xlockmore not working at all (screen flicker)
- fixed after messing around with the ideas from http://askubuntu.com/questions/138661/how-to-suspend-from-command-line-such-that-screen-is-locked - not using the xlockmore.
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/946180 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdk-pixbuf/+bug/927393
- fixed by changing the height of the toolbar - if the height is less than 16, then the icon does not show. Edit the ~/.fluxbox/init and set session.screen0.toolbar.height:16
- fixed using the supplied hint.
- not fixed yet - no battery status app for me...
- flaky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. The hacks from https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139365 did not seem to work - so it is probably a different bug with similar symptoms.
- fixed. The downgrading to the earlier version as per https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xpdf/+bug/943195/comments/17 makes the xpdf whole again.