Monday, May 23, 2011

Strange.

I am at St.Pancras, in the Eurostar lounge. Got a special friendly patdown treatment - maybe because I forgot some coins in the back pocket of the jeans. Never mind - I got used to "random checks" in my previous life.

But wait. I'm traveling. Without my habitual travel drink. Rewind the time. I need go to the Starbucks. I want my "Caramel Macchiato".

Strange. They changed the look of the menu, or they had it differently to begin with. No pseudoitalian size denominations. Seems like now you can build your own drinksfrom components - or it is just an avant-garde design. I can see "macchiato" separately, and "caramel" separately.

Too complicated. Just asked the same thing as usual. And, lo and behold, the person on the other side replied with the usual correction - "Venti ?", to which I reply "large" - as usual, in a futile attempt to abandon the adjectives that do not make much sense. So they still have it, and this will be keep me alive till I get home. The world's still going round.

There's a newspaper on the table - the first page tells how some poor orphan kid had hit a jackpot.

He is nineteen and he got a million pounds from the charity that is run by the newspaper. Good for him. If he is clever, he can make good use of this money. I hope the other hundreds or thousands of orphans both in London and elsewhere in the universe will wish him well. Or maybe they would not. The readers who gave money to him would certainly wish him well enough to give the money - but what about the other orphans ? No, they don't exist. They're just part of what we call 'the society', they do not visible out from the background of the crowd.

Try running in the middle of the crowd that is standing still. Or better, try stopping in the middle of the crowd that rushes ahead. You will be run over. Not because of anyone's evilness, just that for the others you are only a part of the crowd.

They all run towards their dreams. Those who have no dreams to run after, rush even faster to not think about that. They skip days, thinking this will get them faster to the destination. They exhaust themselves to blood while running.

Even if they do not know what the destination is, they will still have a shade of suspicion. An exhausted mind is a harbor for the suspicions, and there are enemies hiding in everything that is suspicious.

"Something strange ? Report to the police!" - says the plaque in big font.

By the way, I have something strange to report. There is free WiFi but I could not find a garbage bin to put the empty paper cup into.

Maybe the garbage bins are dangerous (I heard they can put cigarettes into them - and the smoke looks very scary! Be very afraid!).

Maybe they were just forgotten. Tiny details are easy to forget when you're making grand things.

Maybe I am just not seeing them - much like I did not see the cars when crossing the streets - looking wrong when I should be looking right.

I want to ask the policemen, but this can easily be considered a strange behavior - if there are no bins, then it means no one needs them.

I quietly leave the cup on the table and rush with the rest of the crowd to the gate. They finally announced the boarding, and we are all in a hurry to grab our places - the places that no one else can take. Would be strange if someone did - how would they not be afraid to be reported to the police for the strange behavior ?

I look back and see my cup still there, already welcoming newly arrived burger wraps.

Hopefully it's not too strange of an idea to leave an empty cup on the table when I can't find a garbage bin. I say "thank you" in advance to the person who will have to get this cup to the secret location.

Soon I will return and try again. Maybe one day I crack this strange puzzle.

No comments: